Tuesday 16 May 2017

Musing Mondays - up next on my reading list & travel reading


Musing Monday, May 15, 2017

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:


  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…

Up next I think I’ll read…


Darth Maul - Son of Dathomir (Star Wars Disney Canon Graphic Novel)
by Jeremy Barlow & Juan Frigeri 

I got an unexpected email last night, a holds notification from the Kitchener Public Library. I had a hold available for pickup, this book. Until I saw that I had totally forgotten that the week I was off sick last month I put a hold on this after watching the Darth Maul arc in Star Wars Clone Wars. It's a good thing it came in yesterday and not later this week or I wouldn't have been able to get it.

Thankfully though it's short enough that I can most definitely get through it before I leave on my trip on Wednesday and then while I am away my mum can take it back for me. It's not due back until June 6, and I'll be back before that, but I'd still much prefer to read it before I go.

So this book is based on the uncompleted Darth Maul story arc on teh Disney cartoon Star Wars Clone Wars, which is fantastic, if you like Star Wars I highly recommend it. All 6 seasons are on Netflix if you subscribe. I'm still working my way through the last season, which is called the Lost Missions. Apparently if the show had gotten a full 6th season this story would have been resolved on screen, I'm glad they chose to finish it out as a comic because it's a really compelling story arc. I tried to see if I could buy it at first because I would love to own it, but it was impossible to find when I looked, so it must have gone out of print. Maybe I'll try at a comic shop, that was the one place I didn't try. Any way I searched every library around and finally found it at the KPL, it was checked out so I put my hold on it and waited, and now I am rewarded for my waiting:

Getting cut in half by Obi-Wan Kenobi and being rejected by his former Sith master Darth Sidious isn't going to defeat Darth Maul. In fact, it only makes him mad enough to take on the galaxy--with an army of Mandalorians!

After forming the Shadow Collective--a criminal organization composed of the Hutts, Black Sun, the Mandalorians, and the fearsome Nightbrothers--Maul wages war against Darth Sidious and his generals, Count Dooku and General Grievous! 

Adapted from unproduced screenplays for Season 6 of The Clone Wars television show, this is the final chapter planned for Darth Maul's saga!-- via Goodreads

        THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: How do you review your books? Do you review them right away as soon as you finish reading them? Or do you let them wait a bit and do you ever fall behind? We already did that one recently I remember so I will substitute one of my own: How do you read when you travel?


My question is more pertinent to my current situation since I will be travelling to England on Wednesday night to spend two weeks with Angie. We're both mega excited for it. For this trip, I am changing up my reading habits from past trips that I have taken. In the past, I always just stuffed my suitcase, carry-on and messenger bag with as many books as I thought I would get through on the holiday - usually between 3-6 depending on the length of them. But I would inevitably never get through them all due to being busy, which meant they'd just have taken up valuable real estate and added unnecessary weight. This is especially true because without fail I always end up coming home with at least 1 more book than I left with. Even when Angie and I went to Disney with my mum last year, I came home with like 5 books that I didn't have when I left. It's just the way I work.

So like I said, for this trip to see Angie, I am changing it up. I am not taking any physical books. I am going to get by solely on audio books and ebooks. Between audio book apps and ebook apps, I have 6 reading apps on my phone. On the flights I plan to listen to audio books, I can probably get through 2 shorter ones or one longer one because I listen to them at 2x speed, and play video games on my DS and tablet. Then if I want to read at any point while I'm at Angie's (I usually read for a bit in the mornings because I am usually up before her) I will read the many ebooks in my Kobo and Kindle apps. The only thing I'll miss is graphic novels but if I want a fix, I'll just reread the Questionable Content archive again haha.


1 comment:

  1. My son is really into the Clone Wars series. I enjoyed what I saw, but just haven't had the time to get into it. Enjoy your trip to England and I hope your change in reading habits works out for you.

    ReplyDelete