Monday 12 December 2016

#Blogmas 2016 - Day 11 - Getting to know winter holidays that aren't Christmas


As an undergrad I double majored in English and Religion and Culture before going to library school to become a Library Technician. I work in a library now, specifically an academic one, which allows me great access to a lots of different books on a wide variety of topics. I've been struggling all day to come up with an idea about what to write about today in trying to stick with the holiday theme. As I was sitting here playing pokémon sun and watching Fast and Furious films an idea finally started to form in my head, what if I were to put together a small reading list for every non-Christmas winter holiday to help people find books that could teach them about other holiday traditions around the world?

So that's exactly what I am going to do!

Here's a list of the holidays/traditions I plan to cover. As I do a post I'll come back and edit this one with a link so that it acts kind of like a hub.

Religious Holidays/Traditions/Celebrations


  1. Christmas.
  2. Advent
  3. Hannukah
  4. Krampusnacht
  5. Twelve Days of Christmas
  6. Pancha Ganapati
  7. Hanukkah
  8. Yule
  9. Winter Solstice
  10. Id al-Adha 

Secular Winter Traditions/Celebrations/Holidays


  1. Jólabókaflóð
  2. Festivus
  3. Boxing Day
  4. Kwanzaa
  5. Hogmanay

Are there any that I've missed that you'd like to see me put together a reading list for?



No comments:

Post a Comment