Tuesday 29 November 2016

Musing Mondays - reading Kelley Armstrong & wondering if my life could be a John Green novel

Musing Mondays - November 28, 2016

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:

  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…

I’m currently reading…


Sea of Shadows (Age of Legends #1) by Kelley Armstrong

I've had an urge to read some Kelley Armstrong since about halfway through the last Fionavar book, not sure why but there it was so I gave into it. I'm still reading Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them I am also just reading this one in addition to it. Although at this point I am further into Sea of Shadows because I keep wanting to find out what happens next, but that's really besides the point isn't it?

So there are four main characters in this novel First there's Ashyn, whose name I read as  Ashlyn in the first few pages which kept making me think of the first book in Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series. Next up is her twin sister Moria, whose name I read for the first 5 chapters as Moira before I realised I was consistently inverting the I and the R. Then there's Ronan, who's name I can't read without thinking of Ronan Dex from Stargate Atlantis, and I am not at a point in the book where I am convinced that that isn't actually an incorrect way to imagine him. And lastly a young imperial guard named Gavril Kitsune - I have VERY bad feelings about him and it's giving me anxiety because I am loving the interplay between him and Moria so far and if my suspicions are proven correct it will be for naught. But I am worried because everything I know about kitsunes and Kelley Armstrong is leading me to believe that Gavril is going to turn out to be a traitor and I really don't want him to be.

Now here's the blurb from Goodreads:

"In the Forest of the Dead, where the empire’s worst criminals are exiled, twin sisters Moria and Ashyn are charged with a dangerous task. For they are the Keeper and the Seeker, and each year they must quiet the enraged souls of the damned.
Only this year, the souls will not be quieted.
Ambushed and separated by an ancient evil, the sisters’ journey to find each other sends them far from the only home they’ve ever known. Accompanied by a stubborn imperial guard and a dashing condemned thief, the girls cross a once-empty wasteland, now filled with reawakened monsters of legend, as they travel to warn the emperor. But a terrible secret awaits them at court—one that will alter the balance of their world forever."

          THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: If you were a character, which author would you trust with your life (to write your story)?



Part of me, the insecure and anxiety ridden part, wants to say that I would be such a boring character so how could any of the authors that I love ever actually write my life story? I think we probably all feel that way. Except for those of us that are really confident I suppose, and I admire people with that much confidence because that's just not me. Don't get me wrong I love my life and I know I'm damn lucky to have the life I've got and the great people who are a part of my life (like my wonderful best friend Angie who has been here to get me through some of the hardest parts). And sure lost of interesting things (both great and bad) have happened in my life (life for instance my cousin had a therapist when we were kids who informed them that we as a generation (meaning all of my cousins and I) had seen more familial death in our young lives than many adults experience, and I think I was around 8 at that point) but on the whole I just don't think that I'm as exciting and adventurous as the characters of a lot my favourite authors. But then I do read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi so that could be where my disconnect lies? And BOOM the minute I wrote that sentence the perfect answer popped into my head: JOHN GREEN! That sweet, silly, talented and wonderful man would most assuredly be the author I would trust with my life. He would perfectly be able to capture the juxtaposition of the pieces of my life story. (Why yes, I do consider myself a nerdfighter!)



2 comments:

  1. Great post! I've been curious about that Kelley Armstrong book for a while! And did you know she was in Kitchener as the writer in residence for a while? I totally did not know about it until after she'd left.

    Also, I have never heard of John Green but may have to check him out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's really good so far! I did not know that! My friend and coworker Mel has actually met her which I am totally jealous of.

    John Green is amazing. I loved The Fault in our Stars, haven't been able to get into the rest of my books as of yet though. I've tried Looking for Alaska twice now haha. But I watch all of his vlogs on YouTube because he is just a genuinely interesting human being.

    ReplyDelete