Sunday 2 October 2016

Unboxing - #owlcrate September 2016 - Darkness Box


On the last day of September my September #owlcrate finally arrived.



This month's theme as you can see from the spoiler card above, was darkness. I was super excited for it hoping it would have some similar notes to the evil box from July which I absolutely loved. The guaranteed item for this box was an item from Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children which I must confess I have not read; but I really, really want to and it's on my TBR pile because I managed to get a copy for $7.50, which I think I remember mentioning a few weeks back in one of my Musing Monday posts.



Time for what I thought of each of this month's items:

1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children canvas pouch from Out of Print

I'm loving this, it's the perfect size for my markers and I have been thinking to myself recently that I really, really needed to get a pencil case for my markers because they're still in the box. Once the washi tape I ordered yesterday for labeling my markers arrives they will move to their new home in this pouch. The pouch incidentally also contained a coupon for a discount at Out of Print which makes me happy because I've been wanting to buy a tshirt from them so yay discount. I just realized I should have flipped it over though so you could see the quote on the other side which is "Strange, I thought, how you can be living your dreams and your nightmares at the very same time." from Hollow City.

2. Celaena's Cake scented candle from The Melting Library

It smells absolutely scrumptious, and it's inspired by a book series I really want to read, Throne of Glass. That being said I don't allow myself to have candles because I have been known to pull a Seamus Finnigan with them. Angie however loves scented candles so this will get bundled off for her to enjoy.

3. Fortune telling bath fizzer from Da Bomb

Another item inspired by another series that I want to read, this time it's The Raven Cycle series. This is another item that'll get sent to Angie because I don't take baths, I only take showers.

4. Six of Crows bookmark from Evie Bookish

My coworker Matt read this book a few months back and that was how I became aware of it's existence, I've been saying since then that I would like to read it so now when I do I have an appropriate book mark. A bookmark which also happens to be really gorgeous.

5. Print edition of Episode one of ReMade

This wasn't included on the spoiler card . When I first saw it I was kind of hopeful/assuming that it would be a graphic novel, but it's not. It's the print version of a the first episode of a serialized story called ReMade which according to the review on the page I linked above there James Dashner is a fan of, so I may just end up having to subscribe so I can listen to the whole season. First I'll read this though to see if I'll even like the story!

6. Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake + signed bookplate, author letter/map, and DIY fortune teller

As always the book comes with a signed bookplate which is the closest you can get to an autographed book with a subscription block so I think that's a really cool thing for them to arrange. I also love the author letters! This time on the back of the author letter there's a map of the world the novel takes place in. I love those kinds of maps. The last thing that was wrapped up with the book was a DIY fortune teller themed to the book. The book definitely sounds interesting and like it's right up my alley so I've eagerly added it to my TBR pile, I'll get to it ASAP because I have books for my 2016 reading challenges to read first. Here's the summary from Goodreads:

Every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born: three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.
But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins. The last queen standing gets the crown.
If only it was that simple. Katharine is unable to tolerate the weakest poison, and Arsinoe, no matter how hard she tries, can’t make even a weed grow. The two queens have been shamefully faking their powers, taking care to keep each other, the island, and their powerful sister Mirabella none the wiser. But with alliances being formed, betrayals taking shape, and ruthless revenge haunting the queens’ every move, one thing is certain: the last queen standing might not be the strongest…but she may be the darkest.

I'm very pleased with this month's box on the whole. Yes there are 2 things that I won't use, but I know Angie will make use of them so that's 100% okay with me! I wasn't disappointed by any of the items so that to me is always the mark of a good box. I look forward to October's and I hope it doesn't take as long as September's did to arrive.


2 comments:

  1. Yes I will certainly make use of the bath bomb and candle. We don't want any Seamus moments from you, thank you very much. Looks like a totally awesome box though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would, so it's a good thing I've not sent off your package yet then hehe. Any MORE you mean *giggles*. It certainly was awesome, it's too bad there wasn't another HP item related to the dark arts - a temporary dark mark tattoo would have been the piece de resistance I think!

      Delete