Monday 29 August 2016

Unboxing - #owlcrate August 2016 - Fast Times at YA High Box


August's Owl Crate arrived last week, but I haven't had time to sit down and write the unboxing post for it until right now (I'm writing this on Sunday morning, if you're reading this it's at least Monday morning!):



I wasn't sure what to expect from this box actually, aside from the fact that I knew there would be something HP in it, and something related to Eleanor & Park. I wasn't sure what genre the book was going to be or whether or not I'd like it, and having looked in the box I'm still not 100% about the book, but I'll try anything once! On that note, let me show you what I got!:



Now I'll give you the low down on each of the items and my thoughts on them:

1. Harry Potter "Golden Trio" print by Suzanne Draws

As a Potterhead who finally got around to framing and hanging all of her her prints and posters a few months ago (in advance of Angie's arrival before our trip to Disney I finally got off my ass and did that and now my basement is a glorious, geeky gallery of awesome!) I LOVE this item. It's a gorgeous drawing and it happens to be the exact right size for the next spot I needed to fill on my wall. I've already framed it and hung it, see:

Now I just need to get around to finally covering the horrible paint job the previous owners did in the early 2000s...

2. Decomposition notebook

I've actually been wanting to get a notebook to keep in my messenger bag and this one is the perfect size and also hard enough to stand up to everything else that lives in the bag. Now I just need to remember to put it, and a pen, in there! It's 100% recycled which I love, and it's got geeky doodles all over the covers!! It's perfect.

3. Buttons

There were 2 buttons in the box this month, these remind me of the sticker from last month's box. I actually absolutely love both buttons. I used to have a collection of buttons like these I wonder if they're still floating around somewhere. Anyway that was off topic! So the two buttons, the first is a "Chapter Raptor" button, and I think that's hilarious and I'm not going to call myself a bookworm anymore I'm going to insist on being called a chapter raptor instead! Much more bad ass. The second button makes me so so happy, it says "Hogwarts is my Home" and it's by Taryn Draws.

4. Eleanor & Park necklace

I must confess that I have not read Eleanor & Park, I have read Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl which I really enjoyed, and I just got the audio book of Carry On on sale on Audible last week. So I would like to read it eventually. That being said I'm not much of a jewelry wearer so maybe I will see if I know anyone wants it, or maybe I'll try and sell it (I have an entire box of stuff from subscription boxes that I keep saying I will do that with but I have no idea where to start...) or maybe do a give away on here. We will see. It's a really nice necklace! It's just not my type of item.

5. Custom Stress Relieving Patterns Adult Coloring Book by Blue Star Coloring

I LOVE colouring books! And more specifically I love Blue Star's colouring books! Their Stress Relieving Animal Designs book was my first one and I still love it, I want to get more of theirs! They have such great designs in them. I've already started one of the designs in this book.

6. P.S. I Like You by Kasie West

It's not one of my usual or preferred genres, it's realistic fiction which I need to veer away from but I don't avoid it completely. In fact the last realistic fiction novel I read (The Fault in Our Stars) totally and completely destroyed me emotionally and I loved it... So I'll read it, but I don't know how quickly I'll get around to it! Here's the summary from Goodreads:

Signed, sealed, delivered…
While spacing out in chemistry class, Lily scribbles some of her favorite song lyrics onto her desk. The next day, she finds that someone has continued the lyrics on the desk and added a message to her. Intrigue!
Soon, Lily and her anonymous pen pal are exchanging full-on letters—sharing secrets, recommending bands, and opening up to each other. Lily realizes she’s kind of falling for this letter writer. Only, who is he? As Lily attempts to unravel the mystery and juggle school, friends, crushes, and her crazy family, she discovers that matters of the heart can’t always be spelled out…
Overall thoughts on the box this month? I'm happy with it!! Aside from the necklace I loved and have a use for all of the items. While the book isn't something I would probably have picked up myself in a book store, I do love getting exposed to things I wouldn't normally choose for myself. Expanding my reading horizons FTW!


4 comments:

  1. The book sounds quite good actually, and I am so jealous of the print and the Hogwarts button

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd share them with you if I could, would you like the button? Since I already framed the print hehe. I can send the book along too when I finish it if you want hehe.

      Delete
    2. I would love the book after you have read it, thank you. But you can keep the button, you sid you loved it hehe

      Delete
    3. Then I shall aim to read the book in time to include it in your Christmas parcel sweetie hehe

      Delete