Tuesday 19 July 2016

Tasty Tuesdays - Sweet vs Savoury and recipe for Rocky Road bites



Hi guys

Angie here again.  So the topic of diets and calorie counting comes up where I work on a daily basis.  I am on a team which consists primarily of women and it's inevitable that the subject of food and weight is alluded to.  I know of at least four people on Slimming World, of which I am one.  A couple are just watching their weight but not actively dieting.  Plus there are many more around the office in other teams who follow various plans and diets.

So whenever the subject arises, there is usually the debate over sweet vs savoury.  What's the thing you hate giving up most when dieting?  For a lot of people it's chocolate and cakes etc, the sweet group.  But I would say for just as many its the savoury side such as crisps and pastry etc.

I, for one fall into the latter category.  Ask me to give up chocolate and it's no problem, I don't even crave it and would happily walk past a Mars Bar without blinking.  But ask me to give up crisps and I'll turn into the Incredible Hulk.  I could never and would never give up savoury snacks for any diet and the beauty of Slimming World is that I don't have to, I only have to limit the amount I eat.  Moderation is the key.

But for all you sweet toothed lovelies out there, here is my (NON SW) recipe for Rocky Road


You will need :-

  • 300g dark chocolate
  • 100g milk chocolate
  • 4 tbsps golden syrup
  • 150g butter
  • 175g digestive biscuits
  • 150g macademia nuts
  • 150g pink & white mini marshamallows

23cm (9in) square baking tin


        1. Line the baking tin with clingfilm

        2. Put the plain chocolate and milk chocolate into a large saucepan and add the golden syrup and butter.  Place over a low heat and heat gently, stirring constantly, until all the ingredients have melted.  Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.

        3. Crush the biscuits into small pieces and then roughly chop the macademia nuts.  Add them to the saucepan with the mini marshmallows and stir until well mixed.  Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until the chocolate has set.  Cut the rocky road into small bite sized squares to serve.

Nom nom nom!



No comments:

Post a Comment